CFAES Give Today
OSU Extension

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences


What is Quality Assurance?

The Quality Assurance course ensures youth raising market animals learn the important best practices for raising quality and safe animal products for the food system. They will learn proper animal handling and welfare in not only farm animals, but also for companion and performance animals. 

Hamilton County QA Dates:

All test out and class dates will be held at the Hamilton County Extension Office

  • 2055 Reading Road, Suite 500, Cincinnati, OH 45202.
  • Contact Claire Linepensel, 4-H Educator, at for questions and registration information.


Hamilton County Deadline to Complete QA: May 24, 2024

Test Out

  • February 21, 2024 -  6:00 pm  
    • 12-14 year-old and 15-18 year-old 4-H members can test out of their annual quality assurance (QA) program.
      • Youth ages 12-14 who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program for up to 3 years.
      • Youth ages 15-18 years who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program permanently. 
    • These ages are as of January 1, 2024 – a youth’s 4-H age.  If you fail the QA test, you must take an In-person class.  You will receive your results via email within 1 week of the test.

Quality Assurance Classes:

  • March 14, 2024 - 7:00 pm
  • March 27, 2024 - 7:00 pm
  • April 9, 2024 - 7:00 pm


YQCA Online Course

Visit the YQCA website to take the age-appropriate on-line module for $12.


  • Instructions for online YQCA sessions
  • Families can make a profile and add youth to the family profile. Make sure that you assign the correct training to the correct youth.
  • The BQA, PQA, BEST, etc. online courses do not meet the Ohio Youth Food Animal QA certification requirements.


Quality Assurance in Other Counties

Youth may attend QA in another county, but must provide a copy of their certificate to the Hamilton County Extension Office as soon as possible. Please reach out to their Extension office to register. You may also have to pay an out of county fee.