Applcications are open for the 2021 Community Fair Association Scholarship and the Kelhoffer Memorial Scholarship.
Both scholarships are open to High School Seniors. Applications are due June 1, 2021 and are returned to their respective agencies.
Background and Purpose
The Hamilton County Community Fair Association established this scholarship to help young people continue their efforts toward becoming self-directing, productive, and contributing members of society. Scholarship winner(s) selected at the local level annually for each scholarship.
Selection Procedures and Criteria
1) Have attained the academic rank of high school senior
2) Are a current Hamilton County 4-H member in good standing; and
3) Plan to attend post-secondary school
To apply for scholarships, members must complete a typed Hamilton County Community Fair Scholarship Application Form and attach the following items for reference purposes:
1) A current transcript of your grades.
2) A one-page letter of support from your academic advisor, guidance counselor, teacher, community leader, or employer.
3) A letter from your 4-H advisor of support and confirmation of your participation in 4-H.
4) A two-page, single-sided, double-spaced personal 4-H story that shares how 4-H contributed to your personal development, leadership skills, and career plans.
Submit them the Hamilton County Community Fair Association, P.O. Box 764 Miamitown, Ohio 45041-0764 by June 1, 2021. Emailed or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Criteria used in selections of scholarship winners include; 5% for potential for success; 5% for financial information; 40% 4-H Leadership Activities; 20% Major 4-H Honors; 10% 4-H Community Service/Citizenship; and 20% Personal 4-H Story.
The Awards and Their Presentations
Scholarship recipients publicly recognized during the Livestock Sale during the fair. All recipients expected to attend the Livestock Sale to be awarded their scholarships. Individual letters will also be sent to winners from the Hamilton County Community Fair Association. Money awarded after proof of enrollment into a post-secondary institute is provided, and must be requested before December 31 of the current scholarship year.
To be eligible to receive the scholarship, members need to complete the Hamilton County Community Fair Scholarship Application Form and meet all of the criteria listed below. The scholarship application form is comprehensive in nature and may take some time to complete. Work on it should be started as soon as possible. The completed form is due to the Hamilton County Community Fair Association P.O Box by June 1, 2021. Emailed or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
LOCAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
1) Applicants must have at least achieved the “academic rank” of “senior” in high school.
2) Applicants must be a current Hamilton County 4-H member in good standing
3) Limit type on application and 4-H personal story to Times New Roman 12 point with ½ inch left and right margins. (Note: 10 points will be deducted if this requirement is not followed.)
4) Your Scholarship Application Form should be stapled in the upper left hand corner. Do not use tabbed dividers, coversheets, or any type of folder/binder. (Note: 2 points will be deducted if this requirement is not followed.)
5) Applications must be reviewed and signed by 4-H Advisor for accuracy. Applications will not be accepted without a signature.
Each calendar year the Kelhoffer Memorial Scholarship Committee has the potential to award two higher education scholarships to youth involved in the 4-H Program of Hamilton County, Ohio. Preference for one of the scholarships will be given to the youth who exhibit livestock. This is a one-time award, non-renewable.
Guidelines for application are as follows:
- Applications are due June Mail applications to:
Kelhoffer Memorial Scholarship Committee
3100 Fiddlers Green Road
Cincinnati, OH 45248
- A 4-H member must have been involved and active in the Hamilton County, Ohio 4-H program a minimum of two years prior to making application for the scholarship.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and active in a Hamilton County, Ohio 4-H club to receive the award. Applicants can be a graduating high school senior OR already graduated, but in their last year as a 4-H member. Recipient must enroll in post high school studies, including vocational, professional, and academic studies, but are not limited to colleges or universities.
- An official grade transcript must be included with the application.
- Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation, and one from your organizational advisor, verifying that they approve your application.
- Applicants must score a minimum of seventy (70) points to be considered for the award.
- Awarded scholarship monies may be requested with the submission of receipt of payment for applicable course of study expenses (e.g., tuition, books, etc.)
- Winners will be notified by July 1.
- Money will be awarded after August 1st, and must be requested before December 31st of the current scholarship year.
- The decision of the Kelhoffer Memorial Scholarship Committee is final.
Application available here: https://hamilton.osu.edu/sites/hamilton/files/imce/Kelhoffer%20Memorial%20Scholarship%20Application.docx